What's up with us
So we booked a hotel for 10 days (the max allowed for us) but didn't think we'd need that many since we sent our things off so early. We figured that 6 weeks should be plenty of time for our HHG (House Hold Goods) to get from Hawaii to Massachusetts. Ha! When John called them they said that our things would be in MA on the 8th and they would deliver them either the 9th or the 12th. Okay. So we stayed in the hotel the whole 10 days. Not TOO bad, but that meant that John had the car all day every day and the girls and I were stuck at the hotel. We took daily walks to the mall next door and took advantage of the hotel's swimming pool. We ate cereal for breakfast and pb&j for lunch. When John came home from work, we'd go somewhere for dinner...mostly just to get out.
Then came the 8th of July. We packed our things and went to check into military housing once again. We signed paperwork and got a huge pile of rules and information to take with us. We left with the keys to our new house and went to unload the car. After unloading, we went to go buy some things that we would need such as garbage bags, broom, mop, microwave, etc. Then back to the house to unload again and then ran to the grocery store to pick up some food. I have to say, it has been a LONG time since I spent so much on groceries and felt like I got so very little food. Things are expensive here. Like Hawaii equivalent, but no extra "Hawaii bonus" money. Ugh.
SO, we quickly went back home, unloaded the groceries and made some quick foil dinners to take to a church activity and headed out the door at about the time we were supposed to be there. We spent the evening chatting, grilling, taking rides in someone's boat, and trying not to get eaten by mosquitoes or ticks.
After the activity, we went home pretty tired but very dirty so we thought we'd get clean really quick and go to bed. That was before we discovered that water came out the wall when we turned on the faucet. Water, and the crud that builds up in the cracks. So I cleaned the tub and dumped the girls in for a good scrubbing and eventually we were all clean and tucked away in our air mattresses.
The next day (the 9th), John went to work and I started cleaning. I cannot believe the mess that they handed over to us. Dead insects everywhere, dirt like crazy, and a two little girls to keep busy while I scrubbed. THANKFULLY they both slept until about 9:30 and I had all of the bedrooms and the hallway done by then. I gave them some cereal and trapped them in the back half of the house while I did the main living area.
I was happy to get so much done so that when our things came (scheduled for Monday the 12th) the house would be clean and ready for everything. Then John called. The moving company had called him to let him know that our things were still sitting in California and it would be at LEAST another 10 days before our things would get here. We are coming up on 60 days that they had to move all our things. The 12th is the "drop dead" day. That is the latest that they should be delivering our house hold goods. It is now the 13th. I'm tired of living with only what I brought in a suitcase and what we've purchased since we got here. We have the chance to paint and get some repairs done on the house before our things get here and the house fills with boxes and furniture.
For now, we have the most important things with us...food to eat, a roof over our head, clothes to wear, A/C units, and internet service. I'll post pictures of the house soon.
Then came the 8th of July. We packed our things and went to check into military housing once again. We signed paperwork and got a huge pile of rules and information to take with us. We left with the keys to our new house and went to unload the car. After unloading, we went to go buy some things that we would need such as garbage bags, broom, mop, microwave, etc. Then back to the house to unload again and then ran to the grocery store to pick up some food. I have to say, it has been a LONG time since I spent so much on groceries and felt like I got so very little food. Things are expensive here. Like Hawaii equivalent, but no extra "Hawaii bonus" money. Ugh.
SO, we quickly went back home, unloaded the groceries and made some quick foil dinners to take to a church activity and headed out the door at about the time we were supposed to be there. We spent the evening chatting, grilling, taking rides in someone's boat, and trying not to get eaten by mosquitoes or ticks.
After the activity, we went home pretty tired but very dirty so we thought we'd get clean really quick and go to bed. That was before we discovered that water came out the wall when we turned on the faucet. Water, and the crud that builds up in the cracks. So I cleaned the tub and dumped the girls in for a good scrubbing and eventually we were all clean and tucked away in our air mattresses.
The next day (the 9th), John went to work and I started cleaning. I cannot believe the mess that they handed over to us. Dead insects everywhere, dirt like crazy, and a two little girls to keep busy while I scrubbed. THANKFULLY they both slept until about 9:30 and I had all of the bedrooms and the hallway done by then. I gave them some cereal and trapped them in the back half of the house while I did the main living area.
I was happy to get so much done so that when our things came (scheduled for Monday the 12th) the house would be clean and ready for everything. Then John called. The moving company had called him to let him know that our things were still sitting in California and it would be at LEAST another 10 days before our things would get here. We are coming up on 60 days that they had to move all our things. The 12th is the "drop dead" day. That is the latest that they should be delivering our house hold goods. It is now the 13th. I'm tired of living with only what I brought in a suitcase and what we've purchased since we got here. We have the chance to paint and get some repairs done on the house before our things get here and the house fills with boxes and furniture.
For now, we have the most important things with us...food to eat, a roof over our head, clothes to wear, A/C units, and internet service. I'll post pictures of the house soon.
Comments