Relief Society Here I Come!

I am now our ward's Relief Society Secretary. I'm both a little nervous and a lot excited. I haven't been in RS pretty much my whole married life. Sure, we move a lot and with each new ward, there's a time while they are waiting for our records that I get to enjoy meeting the sisters in my new area. Then I'm usually snatched up by the Young Women or Primary. That's not a bad thing. I absolutely love Primary. I'm not a great teacher but I try hard and the kids usually like me for some odd reason. I love Nursery even more! That is the Celestial Kingdom folks right there. I'll admit that the Young Women still have me baffled. I can't read them well, or relate to what they are going through. I was an odd teenager and none of the things that tempt normal teens ever really had much of an effect on me, so when my little 12 and 13 year old girls started talking about their friends who were pregnant or experimenting with substances, I was agog! I just can't even think of anything. I just don't have a clue when it comes to that age group! But now I'm in Relief Society! I secretly wanted this calling. I didn't even "solicit" for it. I just hoped and Heavenly Father answered my heart.
Now I'm still worried about Miss Fabulous and her anti-Primary movement...well she likes being there. She goes by herself, but she just doesn't want to stay. She loves singing time. But after that, she's had it. She didn't even make it through the first hour yesterday. I'm working on a few solutions. I'd like to reward the good behaviors and help her understand the bad...but I'm not entirely in control of this situation. I believe immediate attention to actions is key. Let her know exactly what she's doing wrong and then give her alternate choices. She responds really well to this...but I think she's gotten the reputation as a problem child and so they automatically assume the worst. I love my girl! She has so much to learn. So I'm worried. I'm worried that now that I'm in RS, I definitely won't be her teacher (I really should let go some time) and I don't feel like the Primary is communicating to her (or me!) what we need to do or what's going on so I can work with her on it. All I've been getting is "she's having a tough time today" or I learn later that she spent the entire second hour crying in the hall with one of the Primary Presidency. Okay, so enough venting...I've got to be pro-active in this area and consider the options. I'm going to try sitting in on Primary (1st hour) to see how she does and then I'll go from there. Okay. Just trying to spin yet another plate. :0)

Comments

Jim and Brooke said…
I am very excited for your new calling! I always loved RS! It will be a lot of work, but so great to get to know all of the other RS ladies! I have been in primary 4 years now, anything different for me would be a big change.
I sure hear you pain in primary. It is so tough for a sunbeam to get used to primary. It is so different than nursery and usually is the 1st class room setting they have had, because most are not in preschool yet.
The thing I have noticed that helps the best is good communication between the teachers, presidency, you and your sweet girl. They are probably trying all they can, but it is different with each child, so it takes time to know which actions to take. I bet they would really appreciate you advise. I am always wanting more ideas. Other peoples children most often react different to me than I think they will, because I am a stranger to them and it is a strange situation.
I curtainly hope that things get better soon. I'm sure it will!
love, Brooke

Popular posts from this blog

The List

Nearly 5 weeks...

Our Big News