Before and After Cable and Magical Phone Numbers

Firstly, I was thinking about this at 2 am this morning so I'm not sure how much it will make sense but I feel like posting and I probably should when I feel like it.

SO. We just got cable this last Wednesday after not having it for about 7 years...I think. I can't remember if we had it when we lived in Oregon, but I think not since we went over to our friend's house to watch a few shows. There are a few shows that we like that we usually rent or borrow from friends, but now we can watch them when they come on. Anyway...before we had cable, we watched mostly cartoons that Miss Fabulous picked out. Now we seem to watch what we want on TV and Miss Fabulous has decided she's just going to watch what she wants on the portable DVD player upstairs. I'm not sure I'm thrilled about this. I'd rather she be with us and not spending a good chunk of time on her own watching movies. Also, before cable John and I would normally head to bed around 9 or 9:30 (yeah, we are getting old). Now, I end up falling asleep in the chair and John eventually wakes me up so I can head to bed and he stays downstairs soaking in all the TV wonders until who knows when. I told him that this was a trial run with having the cable and so far, I'm not sold. Don't get me wrong, I really like watching several shows...mostly on the food network, the discovery channel, and watching biggest loser on tuesday nights. But really, I could live without them. And I REALLY don't need to be sitting around zoning out in front of the TV. Anyway...just some thoughts

Another thing. Last night our phone starts ringing around 1:30ish. That's AM. I figured whoever it was had the wrong number (we've been getting about 1 or 2 wrong number phone calls a day for the past week or so) would hear the name on the machine and realize they had the wrong number. NOPE. They were very determined to get through. Finally I went downstairs to try to turn the ringer off on the phone. Too bad its not that easy! As I'm trying to figure it out, they called again and I answered...

Me (none too happily): Hello?

Him: Who's this?

Me: This is our house, its 2 AM here, do you know who you are trying to call? Do you need help?

Him (to someone else): You got the wrong _______ number. *click*

It took me a good 2 hours to get back to sleep. You'd think after the first 4 or so times they guy called that he'd take the hint, but I guess he really needed to know he had the wrong number. I was laying there thinking, "what? like if he called it a half a dozen times he'd finally get through to the right number? grrr." Anyway...that led to me thinking about cable (somehow, just don't ask me how) and why there couldn't be anything good on at 2 am for the people who can't sleep. There's gotta be more than just myself out there right? What is it I'm paying for? Huh?

Comments

Millie said…
Seriously. There's nothing good on between midnight and five, and even then it's just news or late shows. I like our on-demand stuff. Otherwise, I'd be good not having cable (I think) but hubby and the kids would hate me if I got rid of it.

And it's not enough that the guy has to wake you up in the middle of the night - he has to swear in your ear? Who does that?
"Who's this?"
Exactly what I would expect of some who calls at 1:30 AM and then swears.

Get a DVR. Seriously, we rarelt watch live TV anymore. And after so many recorded shows you start to realize you don't need to watch so much TV and cut back.

Popular posts from this blog

The List

Nearly 5 weeks...

Our Big News