Miss Fabulous vs. Primary

So far, Miss Fabulous is winning. Primary is losing. I wish this weren't the case, but it is and I haven't the slightest thought of how to change it.
She was so eager to start Sunbeams (Miss Fabulous' church class). We had talked about it, she knew it was coming. No more Nursery. She was sad about not going to nursery but happy to start a new class for big girls and boys.
Her class has 12 children in it...10 boys, 2 girls. A huge undertaking. Maybe not so huge since there has to be 2 teachers for each class and since only about half come on any given week. Miss Fabulous is the ONLY child in the class who hasn't mastered sitting and staying in class. Every week they bring her to me in Relief Society because she keeps running away. She likes my class. She sits quietly and listens. She is great in Relief Society. But that's not where she belongs. We have talked about it. I have encouraged, threatened, and bribed. Nothing has worked so far. She still runs away, not necessarily to me but away from Primary.
I don't know what to do anymore. She was so easy for so long (not a hint of complaint from the nursery)...so now I'm in for it? I don't like the thoughts of that. I will continue to work on this with her but I could really use some suggestions!

Comments

Erickson Family said…
Well, DUH! If they keep bringing her to you, she will keep right on running away. She knows that what gets her to you. The nerve of that teacher?! Maybe if you talk to the president and try to work something out. I will bet that after 3 weeks of them NOT taking her to you, she will stop.
Kate said…
Well, the teacher is never there so they ALWAYS have a random sub that they've been able to snag from sunday school. Usually its someone from the presidency that brings her to me. Personally I think she's bored.
Heffalump said…
#5 is in his second year of Primary and is still giving me trouble. I had to finally take a way his computer time if he doesn't go. After a week where he had to miss his computer day he decided it was better to go, but he still throws fits about it.
Sometimes I go and sit in his class with him and just sneak out when he has gotten into the lesson.
Amber Ray said…
Just wait, you will get called as her primary teacher. My friend's little girl who just went into primary told her that she hates the class that she makes her go to where you have to sit still and be quiet. Nursery is sooo fun!
Millie said…
I second Heff's advice of sitting with him and sneaking out. :)

You might mention to the Primary Pres that having random subs is why she can't get into her class. It can't be that interesting to be a Sunbeam, when they still have great memories of playing with toys in Nursery, so they need that teacher who's there every week, so they can look forward to seeing her.

I remember reading an Ensign article about a little girl who was crying before church and when her dad asked her why she was sad, she said it was because she didn't know who her teacher would be that day. Kids really get into that and miss it if it's gone.

Sorry to take over your comments... I have strong opinions about Primary, having spent a little time there in my callings. :)
Kate said…
I totally agree, millie. Even if they would call my husband and I in to teach them (neither of us have callings right now) or at least have a specific sub who has a lesson planned just in case, it would still be a lot better than all those little ones wondering about a teacher who isn't there. I really shouldn't complain...I know how hard it is to be in the Primary Presidency...but I also know the Sunbeams need consistency the most!
Karri said…
Alana was fine in nursery too and then started crying when I left her in Sunbeams. (she never ran away though - how does Fae do that? Can't the teacher sit blocking the door or something?) I just gave her a hug and kiss and left her crying and her teacher never brought her to me, so she was just fine after a couple of minutes. She just has to stay in class without you for a few weeks and it will become routine. You really need the teacher's help for it to work.

Popular posts from this blog

The List

Nearly 5 weeks...

Our Big News