This Little Light of Mine

There is a light at the end of the tunnel! I've been packing like a mad woman and I'm finally starting to see an end. This has been one of the hardest moves yet and I know it isn't even close to being over, but at last I'm feeling like things are going to be okay...even if I don't KNOW.
Here's what's going on:
Our lease was coming up in July this year and we knew we didn't want to renew. We told the property management company that we didn't want to renew but we'd like to rent month-to-month until we found something we liked and could afford. Around mid-July we received an email from them with some updates on their policies...two new things they were adding that would cost us more money when we moved out. We were to sign it and return it to them within 5 days or we would have to be out within two weeks. We read it several times and both agreed that it didn't say anything about renewing the lease for another year, so we signed it and sent it back since we didn't have anywhere to move to within two weeks time.
We began looking for a place to move to and debated about the pros/cons of living in Military Housing. The Military is building new houses all over the island...they are bigger but we weren't sure if we wanted to just be in housing, especially when John advances. We could potentially make money.
To keep our options open, we checked out the Housing Office on Schofield Army Base (our first choice since we have friends there) and were told that because we only had one child we only qualified for a 900 sqare foot, two bedroom unit. This was very frustrating since we know several families that live in the new 3 bedroom houses there who only have one child or no children at all.
Two weeks later a friend of ours walked into that same Housing Office and was offered a new 3 bedroom house within two weeks. They told Housing that they couldn't do it before 6 weeks and Housing agreed to hold it for them. Hopeful, we went back in to talk to Schofield Housing and were again turned away. We left there quite upset with the whole situation. If it were in my power I'd have 4 or 5 kids by now, but it shouldn't matter to them. They are only building 3 bedrooms anymore...what are they going to do with all the people who don't want children or are unable to have them? Anyway...on the way home I remembered and email that was sent by a different housing area offering a new 3 bedroom house if we wanted it. I called them and they offered it over the phone. We went in the next day and signed papers. They told us the housing wasn't finished being built, but should be done by the end of October or the middle of November at the latest. We were fine with this...it gave us time (about 5-7 weeks) to sort things out and prepare for a move.
The next day we contacted the property management company to give them a heads-up and a tenative date. They told us we were in a contract until July 2008. We told them we hadn't signed a new lease and they told us the little paper we had signed was a renewal and we would have to pay to not only break the lease but also pay for the advertising and the cost to show the unit. We would also be responsible for the rent until it was rented by someone else. We were so tired of their sneakiness and their lack of help in any situation that we made the decision to cut our losses and get out of there.
This is where I am now. This Saturday we are moving all of our house hold goods into storage where it will sit until housing finally decides to get their rears in gear and finish the houses. They are now saying the end of November or later. Since we will be homeless, Fae and I are flying to Utah to stay with family through the holidays and John will stay with friends until the house is ready or his vacation time starts, whichever comes first. We still have to be out of this house by the 31st even though no one has rented it yet. Looks like we'll be paying rent but without a place to live.
I pray things will smooth out and someone will rent this place soon. I'm still hopeful. Things have to start being okay for us soon right? Anyhow...that's why I was losing my mind.

Comments

Heffalump said…
Wow...that is incredible (not in a good way).
I hope everything works out soon. Its no fun being apart from your man.
Amber Ray said…
What a pain! I am so sorry. We are going to be in Springville for T-day weekend. I would love to get together. Let me know what your plans are!

Popular posts from this blog

The List

Nearly 5 weeks...

Our Big News