Jobless, But Not
So, the kids are all in school. I had dreams...silly dreams of cleaning, working out, meal prepping, greeting kids at the door with cookies and milk, volunteering in schools, maybe catch a lunch with a friend here and there, possibly watching a show I haven't had time to watch or reading a book, etc. I'm not sure why I was so dreamy, but the reality is, I don't have time for any of it. Wait. Not true. I have been working really hard to make sure I get at least one mile in each day with the goal being 3. I want to add push ups and squats and abs in too, but I get about 10 done and then get the attitude of "I'm good." and its all over. So I'm getting some exercise and I'm making about half of the dinners (John does the other half) and all of the other meals that the kids don't eat at school. The volunteering starts today with one classroom and I'm scheduled at least once/week and sometimes three/week.
Still, there have been no shows watched, about 20 pages in one book read (with school being in nearly a month), and no lunch dates...wait...I had a breakfast date with John once...oh! and a lunch date too! So...I guess not bad.
Anyway. This move has taken a toll. The house has needed far more than we anticipated. The carpets needed to be replaced (think large unidentifiable stains), some birds made our chimney their home, wasps also made a portion of our attic their home and were eating their way into our house, we couldn't find the access to the sprinklers to turn them off and on, and so on. And so, I've begun a job search.
Being a SAHM is great! It definitely has its challenges, but I wouldn't trade it at all. It also takes you out of the work field for an extended (14 years in my case) amount of time. All I can offer is a positive attitude, some wicked math skills, and lots of cooking and cleaning tips.
I could drive school buses. Drivers are in demand and I do like to drive, but I'm totally having flashbacks to those days when I rode a bus and I'm going to "no, thank you" that one. I applied for a mail room, but apparently they want you to be able to fix the machines as well as run them. I'm sure I could have figured BOTH of those out, but they didn't want that. No mail room. I applied at several banks and credit unions as a part time teller. I figured I could work up from there, but I'm older and haven't "worked" in ages and it just doesn't look that great on paper. So far, no to teller. I have applied at Costco, Target, At Home, and would have applied to Hobby Lobby if they hadn't just opened and have an entire new, sparkly staff already. I also applied at a photo place in a department store. I wish I hadn't. They REALLY wanted me, but its everything I dislike about photography. Pick a background or three, hold this bear that 10,000 other people have held, put people in a tiny room and do tricks to make them smile, sell that frame and more prints and more sessions, stand/sit in these three poses, and don't bother knowing anything about the equipment. It made me want to go for a hike.
I went home and sent a message to a friend. This friend has done what I would like to do. She called and we talked for a while, she giving me instructions and tips and several "call me anytime". She is amazing. I want to be amazing too.
I'm still job hunting, but this time, I'm not looking for a career. I'm looking for something to do to help with the finances while I build a career. I'm scared and excited and nervous. This is the start of a beautiful thing. ❤
Still, there have been no shows watched, about 20 pages in one book read (with school being in nearly a month), and no lunch dates...wait...I had a breakfast date with John once...oh! and a lunch date too! So...I guess not bad.
Anyway. This move has taken a toll. The house has needed far more than we anticipated. The carpets needed to be replaced (think large unidentifiable stains), some birds made our chimney their home, wasps also made a portion of our attic their home and were eating their way into our house, we couldn't find the access to the sprinklers to turn them off and on, and so on. And so, I've begun a job search.
Being a SAHM is great! It definitely has its challenges, but I wouldn't trade it at all. It also takes you out of the work field for an extended (14 years in my case) amount of time. All I can offer is a positive attitude, some wicked math skills, and lots of cooking and cleaning tips.
I could drive school buses. Drivers are in demand and I do like to drive, but I'm totally having flashbacks to those days when I rode a bus and I'm going to "no, thank you" that one. I applied for a mail room, but apparently they want you to be able to fix the machines as well as run them. I'm sure I could have figured BOTH of those out, but they didn't want that. No mail room. I applied at several banks and credit unions as a part time teller. I figured I could work up from there, but I'm older and haven't "worked" in ages and it just doesn't look that great on paper. So far, no to teller. I have applied at Costco, Target, At Home, and would have applied to Hobby Lobby if they hadn't just opened and have an entire new, sparkly staff already. I also applied at a photo place in a department store. I wish I hadn't. They REALLY wanted me, but its everything I dislike about photography. Pick a background or three, hold this bear that 10,000 other people have held, put people in a tiny room and do tricks to make them smile, sell that frame and more prints and more sessions, stand/sit in these three poses, and don't bother knowing anything about the equipment. It made me want to go for a hike.
I went home and sent a message to a friend. This friend has done what I would like to do. She called and we talked for a while, she giving me instructions and tips and several "call me anytime". She is amazing. I want to be amazing too.
I'm still job hunting, but this time, I'm not looking for a career. I'm looking for something to do to help with the finances while I build a career. I'm scared and excited and nervous. This is the start of a beautiful thing. ❤
Comments
fortunate in our las town to get in a corporate job and I felt like I was FINALLY building into a career. One move later and I’m contemplating Home Goods just to get SOMETHING. it’s been frustrating feeling like I am going backwards in building my career. That’s why I loved your
Post. I need to remember I’m look for a job to help financially while I build towards my career. Thanks so much and good luck too.